Last updated: 21 May 2018
Personal information means information about you which is personally identifiable such as your name, address, telephone number or email address.
You agree not to allow anyone under 13 years old to access or use our services from your device.
Who are we?
We are Fen Research Limited. We are a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 07285955 whose registered office is at St John's Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS. We have notified the Information Commissioner's Office and are registered on the Data Protection Register under registration number ZA050029.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- any personal information you provide to us when you create an account to use some or all of our services;
- any personal information you provide when using our services, for example our messaging facilities;
- details of transactions you carry out via our Websites or games, including any payment or billing information you provide to us when purchasing services via our Websites or games, some of which may be processed via third party payment processing services;
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- where you agree to an error report being sent to us, any information contained in that error report, for example an error report contains details of the error and other potentially relevant information collected from your device (for example: operating system version, drivers, etc);
- details of your visits to our Websites and use of our services, the resources you access, and your activity in our games, which may include IP addresses, ISP, clickstream data, viewed and exit pages and date or time stamps; and
- details about the device you may use to use our services, which may include the device's unique identifiers, operating system, browser type and mobile network information
How do we use your personal information?
We use Your Information in the following ways:
- to store and retrieve your game data, so that your preferences, customisations, achievements and progress in our games can be remembered;
- to help us improve our services;
- to help us protect against attacks to our services, and to help us prevent cheating in our games;
- to help us fix problems with our services;
- to ensure that content from our services is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- to provide you with information about our services, but we will not send you marketing information if you have asked us not to, (see description of newsletter below);
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our services;
- to notify you about changes to our services;
- to send you our newsletter, unless you have asked us not to (for example, by unticking the consent box at the time you provide your email address). You can unsubscribe from our newsletters at any time by following the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of each newsletter;
- to process any transactions you make via our services and to monitor, prevent and detect fraud; and
- to combine your personal information we obtain through this website and the services and games we make available via this website, with your personal information we obtain through our other Websites and the services and games we make available via those other Websites, for each of the above purposes.
Will we share your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purposes:
- Service Providers: We utilise service providers to perform certain functions on our behalf. Examples include service providers who send our newsletter on our behalf. Their access is limited only to the personal information needed to perform the functions carried out on our behalf, and only for the purpose of performing those functions.
- Payment processors: If you make a transaction via our service, we may need to share certain personal information with third party payment processors in order to process your payment.
- if we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. Where possible your information will be anonymised, where this is not possible any prospective seller or buyer will be contractually bound to maintain the integrity and confidentiality of your information.
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to comply with or enforce our terms and conditions at http://www.fenresearch.com/terms.html and other agreements we have with you; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Fen Research Limited, our customers, or others.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
We use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- we store your personal data on secure servers;
- all staff that have access to your personal data are approved and have undertaken appropriate data protection training; and
- industry standard security provisions are employed on all areas of our services where personal data is stored.
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is never entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that is transferred from you or to you via the internet.
Do we transfer your personal data outside of the European Economic Area?
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- the countries we transfer your personal data to have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission;
- we use contractual clauses approved by the European Commission which give personal data similar protection to that which it has in the EEA; or
- where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data that applies within the EEA.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EEA.
We may ask you to provide a 'game name' when you create an account with us or when you play some of our games. This is the name which will be used to identify you to other users of the game. Your game name will be visible to other users. You should not use your real name, email address, or anything which identifies you in real life, as your game name.
Our messaging facilities may include: private chat, public chat, forums and other ways of communicating with other users of our services.
If you choose to use any messaging facility which we provide, your messages may be visible to other users of our services. By posting messages via messaging facilities, you are consenting to your message and game name being published on our services and you acknowledge and agree that it may be visible to the public. For your safety, do not post any personal information using our messaging facilities, and do not post any information which you do not wish to be shared, seen or used by others. Our messaging facilities may not be encrypted so do not use them to make available any sensitive or private information. Our messaging facilities are intended only for chatting about our games and services. We may store content, information and data sent via our messaging facilities in order to respond, investigate and sanction (where proven) reports of misuse of our messaging facilities.
Lawful basis for processing personal information
In accordance with data protection laws we are required to have a specified lawful basis for processing your personal information. We process personal information about you for the purposes set out in this policy which are necessary in order to provide our services to you and/or to meet our legitimate interests including developing and enhancing the services that we offer; detecting and preventing fraud; maintaining the security and integrity of our services; detecting and fixing errors. We may also be required to process some information about you to comply with our legal obligations.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
To find out more about how your data will be used, or to make a complaint, please contact us using the details provided at the end of this policy.
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of the personal information we hold about you, you can contact us using the contact details provided at the end of this policy. You should:
- put your request in writing;
- include proof of your identity and address (eg a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill); and
- specify the personal data you want access to, including any account or reference numbers where applicable.
We want to make sure that your information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove personal information you think is inaccurate by contacting us using the contact details provided at the end of this policy and you should:
- put your request in writing;
- provide us with enough information to identify you; and
- specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
In certain circumstances, you also have the right to require us to erase personal data that we may process about you. If you wish to exercise this right you may use the contact details at the end of this policy to contact us and you should:
- put your request in writing; and
- provide us with enough information to identify you.
We hope you will be happy with the way we handle your information but if not you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner if there is a problem - for more information visit http://www.ico.gov.uk.
Retention of your personal information
How long we keep hold of your data will depend on how, when and the purpose for which you provide us with your information.
If you are an active user of our services and/or using our games, your personal information will be kept for as long as you continue to be an active user.
If we notice that you have not used your account for our services/games for 1 year we will delete all personal information (other than as described below), from that account. We may at our option, delete the account entirely, or we may choose to deactivate the account and keep it in an anonymised form in case you wish to reactivate it in the future.
Anonymised accounts will still store your progress in the game, and any sanctions against that account (but the not the reason for those sanctions), and will retain a one-way hash of your login details (which means nobody can read those login details, but if you later re-provide login details to us we can check if they match a particular account or not). To reactivate an anonymised account you will need to re-provide your login details, and re-provide the personal data which was deleted. If you have forgotten your login details you will not be able to reactivate an anonymised account.
All information that you provide to us as part of any purchases including any information in relation to enquiries, order or payments will usually be retained by us for a period of up to 7 years, in line with our accounting requirements.
In some limited circumstances it may be necessary for us to retain some data for longer periods in particular if we are required by law to do so.
Even if we delete your personal information from our servers your personal information may remain in our encrypted offline backups for up to 6 years.
How to contact us
by email at: [email protected];
or write to us at: Fen Research Limited, St Johns Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS.